Change Healthcare / UnitedHealth Group
Counsel, Intellectual Property May 2020 – Present
- Manage and grow IP portfolio
- Work with senior leadership to coordinate IP strategy
- Determine patentability of invention disclosures submitted by inventors
- Review applications and Office Action responses drafted by outside counsel
- Monitor competitor patents and developed non-infringement positions when necessary
- Ensure open-source license compliance
- Develop processes for verifying developer compliance with open-source guidelines
- Review potential open-source licensing issues and coordinated with developers to remediate as necessary
- Monitor and address domain name registration issues
- Coordinate with IT Security team to identify security risks with domain registrations
- Drafting and filing UDRP complaints, resulting in successfully taking down malicious domains using the UDRP process
- Developed and updated playbook for negotiating NDA agreements
- Ensure marketing material is compliant with trademark usage and false advertising guidelines
- Ensure compliance with export control requirements for software sold outside of the United States
Haynes and Boone LLP
Associate August 2019 – March 2020
- Prosecuted patent applications in the electronics and software fields including computer hardware and networking, mobile applications, and audio processing
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
Associate October 2017 – August 2019
Law Clerk October 2016 – October 2017
Summer Associate May 2016 – July 2016
- Prosecuted patent applications in the electronics and software fields including image processing, neural networks, mesh networking, smart devices, and cryptography including:
- Conducting examiner interviews and drafting Office Action responses
- Conducting inventor disclosure interviews and drafting patent applications
- Drafted recommendations and responses to discovery requests in patent litigation
- Provided patent strategy counseling and patentability opinions
- Reviewed and counseled clients regarding software licensing agreements
- Represented pro bono low-income clients in landlord/tenant matters, including civil litigation in state magistrate court
SQL Developer / Business Intelligence Developer May 2010 – May 2016
- Developed software to convert large amounts of unstructured data into reports to assist management in making informed forward-looking business decisions.
- Worked with in-house counsel to prepare historical sales data for discovery during IP litigation.
Software Engineer October 2008 – July 2009
- Developed software to facilitate scheduling and routing for non-emergency medical transport.
- Designed software to comply with HIPAA regulations for claim processing.
Developer August 2007 – October 2008
- Developed software to extract and process financial transaction data for CitiBank.
Quality Assurance Analyst January 2004 – April 2005
- Founded software quality assurance group for structured software testing.
- Helped ensure systems complied with state and federal privacy and wiretapping laws.
Testing Analyst August 2002 – June 2003
- Did quality assurance testing of web applications of government websites, including Georgia’s Department of Driver Services and the Small Business Administration.
- Ensured government websites tested conformed with contractual obligations as well as state and federal laws.
S2 Systems, Inc.
Quality Assurance Engineer October 1997 – June 2001
- Performed hardware and software quality assurance testing.
- Ensured healthcare data complied with HIPAA regulations for claims processing.
Georgia State University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, June 2017
- 3.78 GPA, Top 10%, Order of the Coif
- Law Review – Associate Student Writing Editor
- Moot Court – 2016 AIPLA Competition, 2015, 2017 Saul Lefkowitz Competition
- Intellectual Property Law Society – 2013-2016, Member, 2016-2017, President
- Library Advisory Council – Student Representative
- CALI Awards (Highest Grade in Class)
- Outer Barristers’ Guild Award
- Excellence in Contracts Award
Southern Polytechnic State University, B.S., Computer Science, May 2007
Georgia Institute of Technology
October 1996 – December 1999
Computer Science Major
- Georgia Superior Court
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Other Skills and Interests
- Fluent in Mandarin Chinese
- Classically trained pianist